(FLC Upholstery 101W)
Lindsay Orwig & Olli Johnson
10am-4pm (12 hours total)
FLC St.Paul Facility
475 Etna St. Suite 2
St. Paul MN 55106
None (recommendations for prep work will be given by instructor upon registration).
Review the FLC Cancellation Policy.
Not sure WHERE to start? Start here. Weekend Warriors is the ideal place to get your feet wet and discover what upholstery is all about. Workshops are 12 hours total (6 hours Saturday and Sunday) which is perfect for making a few cushions, reupholstering your kitchen chairs, or tackling a simple side chair.
Focus is on exploration and creativity, so all levels are welcome. Students may wish to bring some basic tools of their own, but all necessary professional quality equipment is provided. Foam is available for purchase during class if your project requires it.
Workshop is truly OPEN so students may elect to bring in any in-process project they are currently working on to receive instructor support and access to tools and materials, but new students are especially encouraged to be especially mindful of recommendations.
- Increase familiarity with basic professional upholstery skills and processes
- Learn about and sample professional quality tools and supplies
- Connect with like-minded students in a positive learning environment
- Leave with one of a kind functional art
- Rescue a piece of furniture from landfill
Cushions, dining chairs, ottomans, side chairs. Returning students may elect to bring more complex projects and complete challenging portions with instructor support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Registration is per student – If you elect to share a project, our instructors will do their best to keep you both working by dividing tasks between you (cutting, sewing, upholstery) but unfortunately we cannot waive registration for the second participant.
We’d still encourage you to keep it simple, especially if you are after good results. Most students leave their first workshop feeling pretty overwhelmed with new information. We want you to feel challenged, but also to have fun and retain what you learn.
FLC has an “Adopt-a-Project” option for any student that for whatever reason (arriving by plane, unexpected complications with chosen project, etc.) can’t bring a project. If you tell us a bit about your current skill level and what skills you hope to gain, we can send you some options from our list of available projects.
- Cost to “adopt” a frame is $75 – This covers the frame, time to source, and tear back.
- You are responsible for the cost of foam and providing your own fabric* as per standard workshop policy
- You must complete the registration process before FLC can hold a frame for you.
- Instructor will collect project and supply fees at time of workshop
- You may choose to keep the project, or FLC will donate it on your behalf
- *If project is being donated, student may choose from FLC’s small collection of free fabric
You may also choose to create a practice cushion during your workshop time.
- No additional cost, unless student wishes to create a cushion to keep (in which case, foam costs apply per standard workshop policy)
- Practice fabric is available in the classroom
- FLC 200 Boxed Cushion Units are printed and available to instructors in the classroom
- This is an excellent use of 12 hours and will introduce you to many methods as well as the sewing machine.
- If you do not own FLC 200, you can still use our free YouTube video as a preparation tool.